Saturday, April 16, 2011

Welcome Verkade!

I have a horse! I'm a bit shocked by the whole thing - I gave him a hug goodbye tonight and had to think 'this is actually my horse!'.



He's filthy (and OMG the tack he came with...) and a bit edgy about being in a new place with new people. I also forgot that like any relationship, it needs to be built over time. My memories of my past horses are all of them once we had built that bond and loved each other. So it was weird to be with 'my' horse but have him be a bit off and nervous with me. So we certainly need to build that relationship - and to be fair he was a bit freaked out by being put in a new place after living at the same one for that last 2 years.



He came with an extensive wardrobe as the previous owner moved overseas. But OMG, it took me 2 hours to work through it and it'll take me another 4 - 5 hours to clean it all! The leather is either mouldy or just outright FILTHY, with grime, sweat, hair and dirt caked on everything. To be honest I'm looking forward to doing it, it's just a matter of finding time. I might clean the stuff I'll be riding in first then start working my way through the rest. It was such a weird collection - parts of at least 5 bridles, including a weymouth and some random pony bits. And 5 packs of lintex dressing. And various bottles with labels so faded I just tossed it out. And everything is purple. His float boots, rugs, saddlecloths, work boots, random towels.... everything. I'm not really a purple person, but for the next few weeks/months I'll be rocking the purple look. Thankfully I have some of my own stuff in storage so I'll bring it out to break up the purple parade.



I had a bit of drama collecting him but we eventually got on the road at about 1.30 and he was at the agistment place by 2.30pm. He floated really well, stable and calm. He was a bit bored at the start, pawing at the floor; but settled and travelled really well. Once they got him there (I was another 10 minutes behind thanks to a GPS issue) he sat in the roundyard while I unpacked and filled out the paperwork. His paddock is in a STUNNING location and his nearest friend is across a laneway. The fence is electric - when I went up to say goodbye after unpacking he was a bit wary of the fence so I think he got a zap while I was going through his gear.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow - riding him as 'my horse' for the first time. I'll also spend a good amount of time grooming him and probably will give him a solid bath just to get that greasy, dirty coat under control. Hopefully he's settled in and our ride goes well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment