Thursday, April 14, 2011

Developing KD's dressage training schedule

Oh yes, look at me go. I'm so into my horse's new name that I'm even calling him by his stable name already. Wooh!

I realised last night that since I've such a long lead up to picking up my new pony, I've been putting off a number of tasks for various reasons, such as 'don't bother buying extra tack til you know your new horse's colour/size'. One other thing was a training schedule for the first week back. But... well.. I'm picking him up on Saturday morning. And it's thursday afternoon. And I'm working for the next 2 days and have things planned for both nights.... oops.

So I spent my lunch break today frantically googling training schedules. I had spoken to a few pony people about it recently but hadn't taken it much further. I found a great resource today by Michael Hillman and plan to use it when drawing up my plan for the next wek. But it also includes  a number of other useful tips to consider for the long term, such as:

  • spend time building goodwill with your horse - for example spend a lot of time grooming. Who doesn't love a good massage?!
  • Have a plan but be ready tp adjust it for conditions, your headspace or your horse's mood
  • Using hacking out as a good time to practice dressage movements as generally horses love hacking out and so are moving forward and relaxed.
  • Remembering to take a step back and change things up if it's not working. Hillman points out the old axiom: 'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting something different. If its not working, change something'. This is something I need to remember as too often I get bogged down in trying to do something rather than taking a breath and trying a new approach.
There are some points that conflict with other things I've heard, such as Hillman recommending bringing in new content at the end of a session whereas others recommend doing so after a warm up at the start. I think I'll take the middle ground, as Hillman was still right - start the session doing things the horse knows and is comfortable doing; but then I'll move into doing a new movement early while KD is still fresh enough to take in new material. Another point Hillman raises conflicts with a great book I'm reading at the moment by Denny Emerson. Emerson argues that no matter what, good riders ride every day no matter how they feel. Hillman argues the opposite - he says if it's raining, you don't want to go out and neither does your horse so build some good will and groom or do something else instead. I think Emerson is more focused on pushing the lazy or unmotivated rider while Hillman is approaching things from building a lasting relationship with the horse (though he does point out that a few wet sessions will do the horse good in preparing them for wet weather competitions). So again, I'll take a middle ground - I wont let myself squib out if I'm not feeling well/lazy/having an 'ugh' day; but at the same time I won't ride just to prove a point if the weather is beyond foul!

Hillman's article is available from - I'll be keeping an eye out for more from this writer/rider!
http://www.emmitsburg.net/archive_list/articles/horses/training_schedule.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment