Monday, April 4, 2011

First lesson: Susan Marshall

 image source: Crown Lodge Equestrian

Yesterday I covered off my second ride on Mister E, the lovely OTTB I'm looking to buy (pending vet check for some stiffness issues).

What I didn't really go into was the lovely instructor I booked to go with me for a second opinion.

The owner's representative had booked a local instructor to ride the horse for me (she appears in the YouTube video a few posts down). And apparently the owner's rep is also a (retired) instructor. So in all, I had three instructors watching me ride on the day. I'm not sure if I felt pampered or pressured!

Even with both the owner's rep and the instructor she booked, I wanted to take along an impartial second opinion to assess the horse, the stiffness I saw in his movement, our suitability and to give me a mini-lesson to help work out if this is the horse for me.

After doing some research on an Australia forum - www.dressageit.com - I booked Susan Marshall, who is located close to the where the horse is agisted.

And... she was LOVELY. Honestly, the confidence boost I received after a quick 20 minute lesson with her was invaluable - even if I don't end up with this horse, how she made me feel and the confidence she instilled was amazing. As it turns out, this particularl horse is quite well trained (up to a certain level) but only responds to the EXACT command he was taught for that movement. So an issue I'd had with asking him to canter during my short and very wet first ride was quickly resolved when she pointed out that I was leaning forward a little at departure. As soon as I adjusted my weight to sit back in the saddle, he rolled into one of the most beautifully balanced, smooth canters I've ever ridden. Gorgeous.

Another thing she pointed out (that I noticed after my first ride) was that I let my reins run too long. So again I need to work on keeping on top of that. This horse comes with a few bits of equipment, including a bridle with continental web reins with little leather billets every 4 inches for grip. If I do get him I might ride with those reins for the first few weeks as an easy way to watch that my grip isn't slipping. It might also help me in managing his desire to go well behind the bit and leaaannnnnnn until his nose is virtually running through the sand of the arena!

She really focused on building my confidence back up. She knew that my last canter experience with him didn't go well, so she had me do three in either direction (asking if I felt ok to) so that I no longer cling to that memory. She explained that most people will grip to the bad experiences and forget the good ones, so the point of the exercise was to remove that bad memory. It seems so silly to have an issue with a simple canter transition but I think I'm a little doubtful of my skill, fitness and strength to stay on a horse that decides to throw in a bucking fit. So I've been a little on edge, and Susan really resolved that for me.

She did a really extensive consultation with me to work out what I'd done, what I wanted to do and where my riding and confidence were at right now. She went through the horse's experiences, conformation and temperament to ensure we matched up. On top of that she gave great advice and was open and honest about both the horse's faults and benefits. Anyone seeking support, advice, a confidence boost or just riding instruction to improve their skills I ABSOLUTELY recommend Susan. She can be contacted via her website - www.crownlodge.com.au. Thank you Susan!

Lesson Points to remember:
1. Keep the reins shorter/correct length
2. Don't lean forward when asking for/during canter
3. Keep him moving forward as a means of encouraging him to not go behind the bit or lean
4. To encourage him to soften, squeeze with the inside rein in a squeeze, squeeze (she described it as gently squeezing a sponge with the bottom finger in the rein until he gives, then immediately reward him by softening .

No comments:

Post a Comment