Saturday, April 2, 2011

Round two with Mister E



Update on the horse I trialled on Friday - I went again today in better conditions. I don't have a video this time but he was still stiff in the hind. I took a friend's trainer with me (mine is away) and we agreed that he's lovely with a forgiving and very willing and trainable temperament. After all, he worked in that disgusting rain without too much fuss.

He has a few training issues but these can all be resolved with gymnastisizing exercises, lateral work, bending etc and improved fitness. One issue is that he's quite one-sided, but he did race until he was 7 so I'm not really surprised. Others include leaning on the bit, going behind the bit and being heavily on the forehand. But these can all be improved with training.

At the same time, he has lovely movement, often tracks up nicely and has a beautifully smooth canter.

I said I'd buy him pending a vet check, with a particular focus on the stiffness in the hind. He was sweaty after a 10 minute ride (including lathered between his hind legs) so I just want to make sure that the lather is from being unfit after a 10 week spell and not from his being in pain from whatever is going on in the hind.

In all, I'm really looking forward to hopefully taking him home in a few weeks. Fingers crossed! It may be that the stiffness is something that is workable given that I'm not exactly going to ride Grand Prix with this horse; if I get to a point where my skills require a different horse in future I'd deal with it then. At the same time if he's going to break down once in full work then no deal. But I'm hoping for the former. I just want to make sure he's comfortable.

I'm quite excited about it all though - he has more training than I realised and a lovely temperament!

No comments:

Post a Comment