Sunday, April 17, 2011

First ride... needs work!

 

Today was my first ride on KD as ‘my horse’. It…. Wasn’t the best. I luged him first as he was just too jumpy on the ground. I didn’t want to lunge straight after a spell but he’s just too much of a nutbar not to. 

I started out with a grooming session – he was super sore on a spot near his wither, I think perhaps his rug is rubbing? He doesn’t have a bridle path or his withers trimmed at all so I’ll take scissors over and do that tomorrow and see if that helps. Otherwise I’ll move him to a different rug.

I lunged him first – I haven’t figured out what his command for ‘stop’ is but by the end of the session we’d established slowing down between paces. I’m pretty sure he knows how and what, he just has different commands that I’m obviously not using. The way I’ve done it in the past is to move forward so I block the horse’s line of vision – either with my body or an arm. But with KD, moving in front of him just makes him rush, then panic and buck and/or take off. So I’ll do some research to look into it. He also goes into canter with a buck/pigroot in my general direction so I need to work that out – he’s always weird with his canter transitions so I want to get to the bottom of it.

After that I rode him – I wimped out and rode him in the roundyard where I’d lunged him. As I led him down there, he went really weird like he was in pain or being bitten somewhere on or near his offside hindquarters. It was weird and he kind of grunted a bit and ran a circle around me. He did it twice, then once more once I got on him. I think maybe the saddle was too far back which would also have contributed to issues under saddle.

above: the saddle moved back during the ride :(

We walked for a bit then I asked for trot but he started to raise his back up and pigroot a little. I thought I’d leave it at walk for today, I just focused on walk/halt transitions and finished with a really basic turn on the forehand, which went really well. Yay!

From here I think I’ll try him in the arena tomorrow – pending how crazy he is. It’ll be after work so I won’t have a lot of daylight. I might try him in the arena at a walk and see if he calms into it? I’m also going to try to rebook Susan Marshall for another confidence-boosting lesson. I know she can’t do much with me given he’s coming back from a spell but I think I’m just after someone to hold my hand. I’m comforted by the fact that one of my best horses in the past was impossible when I got her, but we grew together and by the time I sold her she was an angel and we wont everything we entered. So I know a difficult horse isn’t the end of the world – KD is just edgy about being in a new place with a new rider. In time we’ll be fine, so I’m working to not get discouraged or frightened by this enormous scary animal that is completely unpredictable. 

After the ride I washed him - I'm not a fan of overwashing a horse, but he was so greasy and gross that it had to be done. I'm sure he'll be a fluffmoster when I get there tomorrow. 

Fun facts

1. Kadey has an even shorter attention span than I do – two seconds of being tied up and he’s pawing at the ground, untying his leadrope and generally getting into trouble then panicking – ie he somehow looped the lead rope around the hitching rail and then panicked. Luckily he didn’t hit his head and calmed down enough for me to untie him. But yes – getting into mischief = Kadey’s favourite hobby. 

2. My horse doesn't love me. Yet. He also doesn't like any of the treats I have for him. I'm going to try sugarcubes, carrotes and bread with jam tomorrow to see how I go. I'm struggling with not being able to feed him, it's making the bonding process VERY slow. I know it's only day 2 but it was weird, after I took him back to his paddock he wanted nothing to do with me once he realised I had no food for him and even walked away when I walked towards him. 

I'm worried I've taught him to disrespect me - he was naughty at the trot so we just walked and now this. I need to build a relationship and assert our roles (ie - I'm lead horse!) ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment