Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Farrier update: Wait it out, sunshine

The long awaited farrier visit happened yesterday morning. His message was essentially - it's normal for this region and weather, suck it up and realise you're not going to get to ride a lot until it dries out'.

He was brilliant, he gave me a great lesson on the anatomy of the hoof and how to treat his issue, which is essentially a fungus problem.

He explained that the fungus existing in Kadey's hoof actually should exist in the hoof, just not where it is which is why he cut it out. He gave me an antimicrobial treatment to put on the affected areas once every 2 days and the rest of the hoof once a month or so for maintenance.

He cut off the broken and chipped parts from Kadey’s hooves and cut out the black areas of fungus, which he called ‘Fungus poo’ (his words, not mine). He said Kadey’s hoof shape was actually pretty good so whoever had been doing them had done a good job. I’ll book him again for 4 weeks time and until then hope for the best.

As per our phone call, he suggested walking/riding on hard and rough surfaces, with loose rocks the best and bitumen the next after that.

So… hopefully Kadey is a bit sound this weekend and I can ride him a little. I’ll take along all three saddles and show my trainer, who I’m hoping can come out at some point, so we can work out which fits him best. Knowing my luck it’ll be the jumping saddle!

It was hilarious all through the farrier’s visit as while he was giving me a very serious lesson in hoof care, Kadey was growing progressively bored and so getting up to mischief, including pulling the guys hat off, nudging his shoulder, picking up the (plastic) hoof stand and throwing it about and when facing into the wash bay, stole a few people’s items (brushes, sponges etc) and throwing them about in addition to pulling on the ceiling mounted washbay hose.

So very cute but SO VERY DISTRACTING!

The farrier also has some interesting rules – he trains in natural horsemanship and so works off body language; during the session Kadey wears a rope halter and is the farrier’s horse; I’m not allowed to interact with him in any way. Instead, my job is to be a post to give the horse a sense of security but still allowing him to feel that he (Kadey) is holding himself rather than being tied up. When moving around the horse I had to keep an open body and to make him step back use hip motions. I might look to do some natural horsemanship with Kadey some time soon as he’s a nice horse and I want to develop a better feel for him and a great relationship and bond  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment