Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Kadey moves to our new home :)

Tonight is Kadey's second night in the new property - we moved in on Saturday and thanks to a Herculean effort from my Dad, we had the fences up by Tuesday afternoon.

As I walked him up the drive way for the first time he was a bit nervous and his ongoing weirdness around other horses kicked in when he saw the two neighbouring horses. However after a few sniffs he bored of them (no squeals, thank goodness). In the paddock he was super excited about the thick lush grass, which made me worry about colic. We created a large yard around the stables and I locked him in there for the night - partly to restrict his access to the greenery, partly for security. The yard is lit by the driveway lights, which we left on until he understood where the fence was.

He was reasonably calm until half way through dinner kept walking towards the fence and staring into the darkness. I eventually worked out that he could hear Dad tightening the wire fence. Tonight he was fine until the neighbouring horses disappeared from the fenceline - I think they are kept on the other side of the property at night. Cue panic, as Kadey spent the next while cantering about his yard panicking about being alone. Keeping him alone isn't optimal, but I'm hoping once he settle in he'll be happy to have the horses next door and those across the road and be happy to be on his own at night. If we move later on I'll get a second horse to keep him company.

But for now he's in his yard, not thrilled and a little upset but he was at least dry and standing still when I checked on him an hour ago. Looking forward to when he settles in :)

No comments:

Post a Comment