Sunday, August 7, 2011

First lesson on Kadey!

Today was my first lesson with K, a girl who also agists at the property Kadey is currently agisted on.

It was - great. Mixed.

Kadey leaned like a train and ran - but it was good to have a second pair of eyes to say 'sit here, do that' as he responded well and really my pushing him to work correct was the reason for his poor behaviour as he tried to evade contact and actually having to use his muscles.

At one point he ran into canter - while it wasn't what I was asking, it was beautiful to sit his flowing, rocking horse canter which I haven't ridden since I trialled him in April.

He opened his mouth to evade the bit and ran, so after the lesson we fitted his new bridle with a crank/hanovarian/flash noseband. Hopefully that will help next time I'm on him.

It was great to feel a bit of direction, rather than feeling a bit lost and alone and unsure what to do or how to resolve certain things. K and another agistee also offered to take me out on a trailride so hopefully I can get Kadey accustomed to being outside and not freaking out :)

I finished the day with a full bath, including his grotty, greasy mane and tail. Kadey was quickly bored and started playing with his leadrope and pawing at the concrete/water. He also let me know in no uncertain terms that bafftime is not his favourite thing in the world, particularly if I want to wash his face!



Lesson points to remember

1. Three hip stretches
a/ point toes in towards each other
b/ flex foot and put leg out sideways with knee locked straight. Rest on highest point i can manage and push to go higher over time.
c/ bend knee and pull ankle high over thigh of other leg.

2. Tilt pelvis forward and don't hollow back

3. Keep shoulders down and relaxed

No comments:

Post a Comment