Saturday, October 20, 2012

New trainer: Training back on track

Yesterday, we racked up a collosal 5.25 hours in the saddle.

First off, I had a lesson with my new trainer - the partner of my previous trainer. His focus is more on *problem* horses - you know, the ones ruined by people.

When we arrived, that was us. Kadey was cranky, unhappy and I felt that without intervention, he would have gone down a path ending in aggression and danger for both of us.

After a few months with the old trainer, Kade is lovable, affectionate and even (on his terms though) cuddly.

I had 2 months off when my last job finished; but now that I'm back at work, I'm back to training :)

The new trainer (Ruth) is amazing. Both have a wonderful way with horses, getting the most out of them without a fight. I had a lesson with another trainer in preparation for a show but her methods weren't for me - too much heavy hands and pulling. Ruth's perspective is to train the horse correctly, then he'll transfer the weight to his hocks of his own accord - as opposed to advising me to pull with the mouth and ride forward to force him there.

So. Very. Happy. To. Train. With. Ruth!!

I said I'd like to lock in for weekly lessons, possibly 2x weekly if I can get enough freelance work to cover the extra.

I'm also thrilled that her perspective is to work through Kadey's tension and back issues with training, rather than putting it all on hold with the chiro. Chiro supports this, Kadey's biggest issue is tightness. Proper (and careful) gymnastic work will go a long way towards keepgin him supple and even enabling the chiro to achieve even more on his visits.

So in all, I'm very happy and looking forward to a summer of training so we're set to take on the 2013 show season with skill, dedication and commitment!

No comments:

Post a Comment