Saturday, January 7, 2012

Zen and horses

From a BlogHer blog by AnnaB:


"This year I have worked with some really great horses, who I usually meet in the middle of an unwanted behavior. After a little equine CSI work- the problem frequently boils down to a dislike of fighting. Meaning a trailer issue is more likely a resistance to the fight about the trailer, than the actual trailer itself.  It’s not so much what we ask them to do, but how we ask. Once communication breaks down there is no joy on either side.

And it doesn’t necessarily mean the rider is violent or abusive by human standards. Horses are so sensitive to our moods- frustration can feel like a punishment and depression can feel like pressure with no release in sight.

I don’t know that it matters in the end who started it, or why. Both sides have to surrender their defensiveness to start over. The bigger heart should apologize first; some of us learn that from our horses. Then like kids on a playground, we can go back to our game.

When working with animals, I see myself as a peace-nik. I refuse to continue a fight or hold a grudge. Post the Serenity Prayer in the barn if it helps, but the useless bickering has to stop. I choose to stay relentlessly positive, and behave as if I have an infinite well of honesty, optimism and creative ideas- along with all the time in the world. I’m no saint, but if I can act that way for a while, horses will come the rest of the way to meet me. Then trust can grow as the adversity retreats."

Which is interesting... and so true. I'm always amazed by the impact of little things, like getting a horse to change pace under saddle or on the lunge, with something as simple as adjusting my breathing or softening the look in my eye.

I have ordered some books from Amazon to explore the topic (and make the most of my stuck on the ground situation), I'll blog any findings or key outcomes with Kade as I go :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment