Monday, May 23, 2011

Riding solo :)

This morning was our first solo, unassisted ride.

It's exciting because...

1. I rode Kadey and in no way did he attempt to kill me :)
2. I rode before work, proving that my master plan to train, work, succeed is actually possible :)
3. I rode Kadey without my trainer holding my hand (or his hoof) :)

My trainer gave me a riser pad she isn't using the bring the saddle up - it wasn't secure on his back and the seat was tilting down, which caused me to lean back. With the riser in place he's moving forward happily and isn't having the bucking/rearing fits that marked our earlier sessions.

I'll have to remember to take my camera tomorrow to document the process for posterity :)

Lots of smiley faces - Sunday's lesson was great and the better-fitting saddle has opened things up to me again where I can train, ride and be happy :)

My trainer asked me to work on suppling him by asking him to bend his neck and flex his head to the inside of the circle without coming off the track. One side is MUCH easier but I'll work on it until our next lesson.

Now I can start doing training plans and looking to ride out in the open to improve his fitness, rather than riding him in the arena on sand which isn't a great start to bringing him into work. This morning his fetlocks were a bit warm post-ride so I'll have to check it out tomorrow. So far we've only ridden in the round yard aside from a small ride in the full arena; but I'm thinking tomorrow I might start in the round yard then take him over to the arena or for a walk around the property.

Yay for progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment